which USB GPS device should I buy?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 4 00:56:40 UTC 2010

On 1/2/10, tug williams <tug.williams-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a usb gps receiver? I'm planning on using
> gpscorrelate (http://freefoote.dview.net/linux_gpscorr.html) to link
> location with photos.
>
> Thanks

If what you are after is JUST a USB GPS receiver I would suggest you
look for a non-current copy of "Microsoft Streets and Trips" with GPS
locator. This is what I did when I wanted to play with Open Street
Map. The USB GPS receiver Microsoft includes with "Streets and Trips"
is made by a firm called Pharos and is well supported under Linux.
Point is that if you hit the right clearance sale these GPS receivers
can be had for under $20 (as for the included software, well,
recycling bins are not hard to find :-) ).

Do keep in mind that the above GPS depends on a laptop (or other USB
master device) to provide power and display functions. Bottom line, if
you want to do things like mapping from a car (or other road vehicle)
the above is a great way to get into it cheaply. The above is not so
good if you want to do things like map hiking trails (where you would
need to keep you laptop running as you walk...).

Colin McGregor