turn up volume on soundcard software

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 18 20:36:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 03:13:51PM -0500, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
> You're thinking the other way around. I'm simply coming out of the 1/8 "
> green (usually means spkr) port.

It's supposed to mean speaker/headphone at least.

> I don't think I have a line out. Judging form the port colours (red,
> green, blue) and their icons (microphone, mus. note w arrow out, mus.
> note w arrow in) I think I only have mic, spkr out, and line in.

There is never a speaker out, only line level (or headphone).  A PC
can't drive speakers directly (other than headphones), at least not in
a useful way.

> Well, it's the noise I want to lower, not to raise the volume per se. I
> think the engineer that advised me (though not for linux, unfortunately)
> was hoping that if I up the volume on the card I would get less noise.
> Remember noise and signal are always competing for the same territory.
> Hence, signal-to-noise ratio.

True.  Of course on my sb live, going above about 80% causes clipping
(someone did a stupid design apparently).  That's rather unusual though.

> I could mute them. I only use this computer to playback from youtube. I
> don't record to it. I have a proper setup on another computer for
> recording. So, how do I mute unwanted sliders in alsamixer?

In alsamixer you can switch to capture settings using F4 (or tab).
You can then mute the inputs you don't need.

--
Len Sorensen