turn up volume on soundcard software

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 18 20:13:51 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 02:09:52PM -0500, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> I doubt my little on board sound card has a digital out. At the other
>> end the MACKIE BIG KNOB does not. The digital my DAW has is firewire but
>> I don't want to run every source in my studio through the NRV10 - that
>> the BIG KNOB's job.
>>
>> Anyway, I seem to have a /little/ more headroom (if that's the right
>> word) by following the steps at
>> http://www.webupd8.org/2009/08/increase-maximum-sound-level-in-ubuntu.html
>> that John McGregor suggested.
>>
>> Thanks for the information, Lennart.
>>

> What kind of input are you connecting to?  If it is a line in then I am
> surprised if the volume level is too low.

You're thinking the other way around. I'm simply coming out of the 1/8 "
green (usually means spkr) port.

> If it is a mic in or other input, then that may be the problem.  I have
> never had any issue with any system getting enough volume on the line out.

I don't think I have a line out. Judging form the port colours (red,
green, blue) and their icons (microphone, mus. note w arrow out, mus.
note w arrow in) I think I only have mic, spkr out, and line in.

> Noise yes, but not lack of volume.

Well, it's the noise I want to lower, not to raise the volume per se. I
think the engineer that advised me (though not for linux, unfortunately)
was hoping that if I up the volume on the card I would get less noise.
Remember noise and signal are always competing for the same territory.
Hence, signal-to-noise ratio.

> Things that can cause noise are the other inputs to the sound chip
> as well, so muting all those tends to be a good idea if you aren't
> using them.

I could mute them. I only use this computer to playback from youtube. I
don't record to it. I have a proper setup on another computer for
recording. So, how do I mute unwanted sliders in alsamixer?

Chris