PulseAudio

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 18 14:46:29 UTC 2010

Heck no. If it worked with ALSA before, it should work after.

A couple other things to check
  /etc/modprobe.d entries for ALSA (you might want to remove old
entries, purge the main ALSA packages, reinstall)
  try sound from commandline before logging in, so that you're just on
ALSA without Pulse possibly stealing the device

Some useful commands:
  aplay -l : lists soundcards that ALSA knows
  alsamixer : commandline mixer useful for configuring prior to
getting into gnome/pulse. Use "m" for mute/unmute and arrows for
volume, tab for navigation
  aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav  : test sound (alsa)