Is this another RIAA or is it legit?

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 15 16:10:17 UTC 2010

The high price of on line reprints is a serious deterrent to independent
scholarship. In Toronto, we have access to a number of good libraries, but
electronic publications are only available to registered students and
faculty of those universities.

I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for some of these papers but the going
web price is in the order of $30. That's ridiculous.

It should be legally required that taxpayer supported research is reported
in the open literature. One simple way to accomplish that would be to
ensure that researchers retain copyright to their papers and have the
right to publish on the web.

(Another) Peter

> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at ...> writes:
>> Seems rhetorical...
>>
>> It's certainly more attractive, money-wise, to publicize things that
>> can make one more money than those that won't.
>
> Well it is rhetorical since I found the semantic antonym of the original
> question. I was asking more in the sense of "why is this theme not
> discussed
> more" (in open source circles at least - and, related to that, why does it
> not
> show up prominently in Google searches - are there that few people busy
> with the
> issue?).
>
> It is normal to charge for papers, even if for bandwidth or storage.
> However,
> there are limits to that, as the reactions of certain university boards
> show.
> Also it is normal for widely circulated papers to have more than one
> publisher
> and to be available in several formats, paper (processed dead tree) not
> being
> one of them lately.
>
>   Peter

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325