Is this another RIAA or is it legit?

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 15 15:42:26 UTC 2010

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at ...> writes:
> Seems rhetorical...
>
> It's certainly more attractive, money-wise, to publicize things that
> can make one more money than those that won't.

Well it is rhetorical since I found the semantic antonym of the original
question. I was asking more in the sense of "why is this theme not discussed
more" (in open source circles at least - and, related to that, why does it not
show up prominently in Google searches - are there that few people busy with the
issue?).

It is normal to charge for papers, even if for bandwidth or storage. However,
there are limits to that, as the reactions of certain university boards show.
Also it is normal for widely circulated papers to have more than one publisher
and to be available in several formats, paper (processed dead tree) not being
one of them lately.

  Peter