Nvidia or ATI

Ijaaz A. Ullah ijaaz-UwkSZrAjFfdkDLQDXwjzI9BPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 12 15:05:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Renata Rocha <natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:08, John Myshrall <jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I'm building a new system for my sister in New Brunswick and want to pick
>> the brains of the list. I've had good success with Nvidia based cards/boards
>> but was also considering ATI. It  is my understanding that they have
>> released improved drivers.
>> I've checked  the Ubuntu forums and it appears that since Jan 2009 the
>> drivers seem ok. Anyone on the list using them? I'm interested in their
>> hybrid cross fire as well.
>
> Hello,
>
> I  was running ATI at my workstation for the last two years. I had
> real trouble making things like dual-head work, and as for Jan 2010
> couldn't get two monitors and visual effects working at the same time.
> Neither me nor anybody at my team - about 20 people running the same
> ATI driver with two or three LCD monitors.
>
> I would run away from ATI if your sister plans someday to run a
> more-than-one monitor setup.
>
> I used to be a nvidia fan, but it's been a long time since I've last
> used a decent nvidia videocard under linux, so I can't give you advice
> about it.
>

> --
> Renata Rocha
> re-9siASaY8nq0dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/renatarocha

I'm a big fan of Nvidia on linux.  I find that it's simple to install,
is fully supported in linux and has VDPAU.  VDPAU is the single reason
why I have a fanless ION box running MythTV playing pack full video at
1080p with only 10% cpu usage.  I don't believe that ATi (or Intel)
has such support in linux.