Nvidia or ATI

Renata Rocha natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 12 15:02:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:08, John Myshrall <jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm building a new system for my sister in New Brunswick and want to pick
> the brains of the list. I've had good success with Nvidia based cards/boards
> but was also considering ATI. It  is my understanding that they have
> released improved drivers.
> I've checked  the Ubuntu forums and it appears that since Jan 2009 the
> drivers seem ok. Anyone on the list using them? I'm interested in their
> hybrid cross fire as well.

Hello,

I  was running ATI at my workstation for the last two years. I had
real trouble making things like dual-head work, and as for Jan 2010
couldn't get two monitors and visual effects working at the same time.
Neither me nor anybody at my team - about 20 people running the same
ATI driver with two or three LCD monitors.

I would run away from ATI if your sister plans someday to run a
more-than-one monitor setup.

I used to be a nvidia fan, but it's been a long time since I've last
used a decent nvidia videocard under linux, so I can't give you advice
about it.

--
Renata Rocha
re-9siASaY8nq0dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org