Linux-related jobs in Toronto

Renata Rocha natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 7 15:05:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 02:13,  <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> A further point is this: job hunting requires a lot of personal contact,
> making a good impression, talking enough but not too much and a whole host
> of skills that can be very difficult to pick up, even for someone born in
> this country. Cross-cultural behaviour can make that even more difficult.

I'm usually outgoing and not really shy. Let's see how this works.

> My wife taught ESL and she found that some students were willing to work
> at picking up those skills. Others simply dug in their heels and refused
> to 'compromise'. One of the latter, a highly educated mathematician, was
> last seen working as a security guard.

Well, I had problems socializing with my colleagues at the Math school
- not really because of me, but i thought they were crazy robots.

> The concensus from HR people on this seems to be that
> interviews are simply to determine that the person doesn't have two heads,

I usually tend to be natural in HR interviews, and once a HR manager
told me in a party I was the most funny interview she ever did. I
answered honestly what I like to do in the weekends ( I like to go to
pubs and I recommended her my favorite pub) and I asked if there was a
place where I could park my bike.

I got the job almost immediately. She must love pubs and bikers.

> but the real determination of talent and capability is on the basis of
> what they've accomplished in the past. For that reason, from the
> standpoint of job hunting, I'm a great believer in a 'project portfolio'
> to accompany a resume.
>
> I recommend 'The Very Quick Job Search', which has a number of useful
> ideas on job hunting. It's in the TPL.

What's the TPL?

--
Renata Rocha