Linux-related jobs in Toronto

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 7 04:13:09 UTC 2010

A further point is this: job hunting requires a lot of personal contact,
making a good impression, talking enough but not too much and a whole host
of skills that can be very difficult to pick up, even for someone born in
this country. Cross-cultural behaviour can make that even more difficult.

My wife taught ESL and she found that some students were willing to work
at picking up those skills. Others simply dug in their heels and refused
to 'compromise'. One of the latter, a highly educated mathematician, was
last seen working as a security guard.

On a somewhat related point, I have found that interviews are not a good
predictor of performance.  I recall in particular two candidates for work.
One interviewed extremely well and was a total disaster. The other person
interviewed very badly but seemed to know what he was doing, and turned
out to be fabulous. The concensus from HR people on this seems to be that
interviews are simply to determine that the person doesn't have two heads,
but the real determination of talent and capability is on the basis of
what they've accomplished in the past. For that reason, from the
standpoint of job hunting, I'm a great believer in a 'project portfolio'
to accompany a resume.

I recommend 'The Very Quick Job Search', which has a number of useful
ideas on job hunting. It's in the TPL.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto