Linux-related jobs in Toronto

Renata Rocha natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 7 14:23:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 19:09, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>  You found TLUG, so feel free to come to our meetings. There are also
> several other open source and language specific groups in the area like TPM
> (Toronto Perl Mongers). Getting out and meeting people will be a big help.

I have a friend from TPM, Lucy Salvi. I was a member of some Brazilian
Perl groups, I'll probably join them.

>  Help us get to know you. What projects have you worked on? What are your
> areas of expertise?

Nowadays, I'm kinda of an Apache ninja :)  Just kidding.
My last job was at UOL - UOL would be Brazil's AOL. I was working with
their e-mail develoment team, doing stress tests with JMeter, because
they have 10,000,000 e-mail users (I'm talking about real ones. They
have a policy on free unused e-mail accounts and they get deleted).
The system is constantly uptaded and runs software theyselves develop,
based on open source solutions like Cyrus. Very nice and big project,
is the kind of thing I like.

While in this project, I tested a session server/cache application
build to deal with Memcached, written in Erlang. All the UOL apps are
now using this Erlang app now, it works fine.

I've worked with their forum application - initially it was a PHP app,
then they migrated to a Java solution ("Secure, Stable and Easy
Maintenance" - all it wasn't). The forum focus was teen kids,
something like a brazilian 4chan, with some moderation. Man, it was
the most crazy project I was ever in. You delivered a new version at
4am, five minutes later there was a whole topic pointing out all the
interface bugs the QA team could not find. Rollback, let's fix the
bugs. Next night, another delivery. This forum could stand one post
per second, I was the only sysadmin in the backend, including
performance tests, and my very first experience with scrum projects.

Luckly, one day they decided to change the teams and I was moved to
the authentication & authorization team. Very very interesting
project, custom apache modules, all I love to do, debug, test and
compile in different architectures, build them up together. I left UOL
while working on this.

This were my last two years, I believe it's all that really matters.

I've worked before in datacenters (absolutely love them)  and, in
entry-level as technical support.

I'm pretty interested in working with big infrascructures, or coming
back to a DC. :)

>  As for prior experience; I've never gone to school for IT, but have been
> able to make a living. It's hard(er) to get a job with a bigger firm, but
> with smaller firms you can generally have good luck. It all comes down to
> what you know with those small firms. So if your Brazilian experience can be
> described, you should be golden.

I don't have an IT degree. I've studied some Mathematics, but didn't
graduate. I plan on studying again, but something different.

>  Another thought is; Your English sounds very good, so perhaps you could do
> some talks at some local geek groups do help get yourself known in the area?

Thanks, and, sure. I've done some speeches on the past, and this
January I had a speech at Linux.conf.au, but I couldn't attend.

--
Renata Rocha
re-9siASaY8nq0dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/renatarocha