Linux-related jobs in Toronto

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 7 00:48:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 05:35:17PM -0200, Renata Rocha wrote:
> I'll be arriving in Toronto in March 1st. I'm a unix/linux sysadmin
> and, as a newcomer, I'll need a new job. I'm already looking for jobs
> in sites like Monster and Craigslist, but, I'd like some tips from the
> toronto linux community on how the job search works.
>
> What sites do you recommend? What and when are the best open source
> events that happen in Ontario, so I can attend? Do you believe in
> certifications, like RHCE, LPIC or CISSP for Systems Administrator, or
> college education works better?

Usually, certifications don't matter, because Unix/Linux admin jobs are
at senior level, usually.  And, you don't need that many, unfortunately.

> And, a final question: does my previous brazilian work experience have
> any meaning for the canadian linux community?

Generally, it doesn't count.  On the other hand, if they're looking for
IBM S247 admin, then your previous experience with IBM S247 in Brazil
counts greatly.

> Thanks!

I think Monster.ca and Workopolis.ca are the main websites.

--
William