Another Reason I Love Linux

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 3 23:03:51 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 09:08:25PM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
>> Long ago, one of the reasons I'd bough a 360 is that I'd seen the
>> versatility of "XBox Linux" on my friends old (original gen) Xbox, and
>> heard that the 360 had a built-in media-centre capable of doing
>> similar things. I was extremely disappointed to discover that not only
>> did it require a "windows media center edition" install running to
>> serve up and/or transcode the files (cannot connect to normal
>> shares/samba and stream), but it was somewhat limited in which codecs
>> it supported. Yet again a lame attempt to tie their platforms
>> together.
>
> Our xbox 260 has no problem connecting to the mythtv box's UPnP interface
> and playing video files.  It's not the media center interface, but it
> works fine.
>
> If you try and play xvid files it will even ask you if it is allowed to
> go download a codec library from microsoft to support more video formats.
>
>> Now despite the whole pushing blu-ray on PS3, it seems that it is a
>> big win as the overall "open" and flexible platform. Imagine my
>> surprise that a company known for such things as "memory stick pro"
>> and UMD's makes such an open system. Congrats to the Sony PS3 team,
>> and keep up the good work. If they keep it up in the next-gen
>> consoles, I know who'll be getting my next console purchase.
>>
>> Don't you wish that there was a way to express to these companies just
>> WHY their products are better, and support such things?
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

It that a component of mythtv, or some other stuff you have installed
on the box as well? I had looked up solutions for xbox media streaming
but at the time I'd only come up with some defunct projects that
didn't have packages and/or wouldn't compile on my box.

--
Tyler Aviss
Systems Support

“Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu