Another Reason I Love Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 3 18:16:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 09:08:25PM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Long ago, one of the reasons I'd bough a 360 is that I'd seen the
> versatility of "XBox Linux" on my friends old (original gen) Xbox, and
> heard that the 360 had a built-in media-centre capable of doing
> similar things. I was extremely disappointed to discover that not only
> did it require a "windows media center edition" install running to
> serve up and/or transcode the files (cannot connect to normal
> shares/samba and stream), but it was somewhat limited in which codecs
> it supported. Yet again a lame attempt to tie their platforms
> together.

Our xbox 260 has no problem connecting to the mythtv box's UPnP interface
and playing video files.  It's not the media center interface, but it
works fine.

If you try and play xvid files it will even ask you if it is allowed to
go download a codec library from microsoft to support more video formats.

--
Len Sorensen