Video Card Recommendations

Scott Allen mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 22 12:16:40 UTC 2010

On 21 December 2010 09:04, William O'Higgins Witteman
<william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'd prefer to spend less money rather than more.

I'm currently putting together a system to allow me to archive HD from
my Rogers PVR (using the Hauppauge HD-PVR for component video
capture). Cost was a primary consideration. The video card I got was
the Asus EN210/DI/512MD2(LP) from Canada Computers:
<http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=026701>

The PC I'm using has only accepts low profile cards and the card above
fit the bill. There's also a fanless version available, if low noise
is a requirement.

I've had very little time to play with this so far, but 1080i HD video
captured with the Hauppauge box seems to play back fine with VDPAU
enabled (not so good without). It's purported to be dual display
capable but I haven't tried it. If you're interested in this card I
could maybe make the time to try dual display.

My PC only has an Athlon A64 3500+ processor
<http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=HP5153>

For 5.1 sound output capability, I bought the Auzentech X-Studio 5.1
<http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&item_id=024268>

--
Scott