Video Card Recommendations

Brandon bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 22 06:49:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:40:55AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> XBMC for Linux supports the Broadcom Crystal video accelerator chip.
> Part of that support seems to involve the guy who does MythTV for Red
> Hat.  Maybe that would work without a new video card.  But that does
> not seem to be the best route for you (makes more sense for boxes
> which don't have PCIe slots: old AppleTV and netbooks.
> <http://www.broadcom.com/products/features/crystal_hd.php>

The Broadcom chip has kernel drivers, but AFAIK XBMC is one of the only
things that supports it. MPlayer might support it, and I remember
reading a forum post for VLC where the devs were basically saying that
the only way it will be supported is if someone outside of the core devs
writes it. (Basically, a 'you want it, you write it.')
--
Brandon