How to save FlashPlayer video?

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 10 20:49:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> There has been a bit of an arms race surrounding this sort of thing...
> There are web extensions such as the following one for Firefox:
>   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006/
>
> I have seen some indication that operators of web sites that publish
> such try to "spike" these sorts of tools, hence the "arms race."  A
> particular tool may or may not work next week...

I've had good success with Flashgot, by the author of NoScript. He's
definitely active in the arms race, as the updates come fast and
furious. It'll use the downloader of your choice, including Firefox
itself.

The way these things (and Realplayer) work is that they sniff all the
HTTP requests that Firefox makes, looking for media requests. So
they'll work for Flash video served by HTTP but not RTMP -- that's a
whole other ballgame.

Also, something I saw first with Silverlight video (for the Olympics)
but that's cropped up a few times with Flash too is adaptive
streaming, where a video is served up in small chunks, each with
different quality settings depending on network conditions. Flashgot
can't handle that: it sees one of these streams as a huge number of
tiny, discrete files.