HDs stalled at 2TB?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 9 20:58:12 UTC 2010

Is there some reason that hard drives have stalled out at 2TB in size?
 2TB drives have been available for over a year(?), I would've
expected the appearance of a 3TB drive months ago.  I have vague
memories of some problem addressing the space on drives over 2TB: it
seems likely this is the problem because at a purely mechanical level
you can "just add another platter" ...

P.S.
W.D. and Seagate each -announced- 2TB drives in January and February
of 2009.  I wasn't able to verify the release date of either, but I
think it's safe to say we've had them over a year.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org