HDs stalled at 2TB?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 9 21:26:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 03:58:12PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> Is there some reason that hard drives have stalled out at 2TB in size?
>  2TB drives have been available for over a year(?), I would've
> expected the appearance of a 3TB drive months ago.  I have vague
> memories of some problem addressing the space on drives over 2TB: it
> seems likely this is the problem because at a purely mechanical level
> you can "just add another platter" ...
>
> P.S.
> W.D. and Seagate each -announced- 2TB drives in January and February
> of 2009.  I wasn't able to verify the release date of either, but I
> think it's safe to say we've had them over a year.

WD sells 3TB drives.  http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/western-digital-western-digital-caviar-green-3tb-internal-desktop-hard-drive-wd30ezrsdtl-wd30ezrsdtl/10160188.aspx

Of course you can't use a dos partition table, so windows can't boot from
it unless your machine uses EFI and you run 64bit windows.  Linux has
no problem booting from a normal BIOS using grub2 and a GPT.  32bit
windows will work with it using GPT as a secondary or external drive.
Well Vista and newer will.  XP just won't.

--
Len Sorensen