rsync backup

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 9 13:39:21 UTC 2010

On 9 December 2010 01:47, Brandon Sandrowicz <bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 06:14:03PM -0500, Jason Shaw wrote:
>> This is where tab completion can really bite you in the backside. I've had
>> it happen several times when I'm not paying attention and just use tab to
>> fill in the directory for me.
>>
>> To echo what others have said, -n is your friend.
>
> z-shell's tab-completion gets this right. When tab-completing a
> directory, it will put the trailing slash there but it defines the
> following behavior:

I'm not sure that's right: I don't want the shell messing with
anything I see unless I specifically told it to.  By hitting "Tab" I
said "I want you to fill something in for me."  By hitting "Space" I
said "insert a space here," not "go back and change something that I
thought was already written."  Yes, theoretically "Tab" should insert
a tab character, but that functionality is almost totally unnecessary
in the CLI and was highjacked years ago.  That can't be said of the
Space bar.  I understand the motivation behind the idea, but I find it
just as undesirable as on-the-fly spelling correction.  I don't like
computer programs assuming they're smarter than me ... even if they're
right.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/