rsync backup

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 9 06:47:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 06:14:03PM -0500, Jason Shaw wrote:
> This is where tab completion can really bite you in the backside. I've had
> it happen several times when I'm not paying attention and just use tab to
> fill in the directory for me.
>
> To echo what others have said, -n is your friend.

z-shell's tab-completion gets this right. When tab-completing a
directory, it will put the trailing slash there but it defines the
following behavior:

 - If you type a space, that space replaces the trailing slash. (Or the
   trailing slash disappears and the space is added, if you prefer to
   see it that way).

 - If you type a slash, that slash replaces the auto-filled one and will
   not be taken away (b/c you've explicitly stated that you wanted it by
   typing it).

 - If you start typing other characters, the trailing slash stays
   because presumably you are continuing to type out a full path to
   something.

--
Brandon