rsync backup

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 8 04:09:19 UTC 2010

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 3:02 PM, teddy mills <teddymills-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> I rsync from /home/teddy/ to an external USB hard disk. It works fine.
>>
>> rsync -avz --delete --exclude-from '/home/teddy/rsync-exclude' /home/teddy
>> /media/backup

The --delete flag is really dangerous.  If it was not for the -v flag,
you would have lost all your data.

To avoid that, always run rsync with the -n flag and watch what it
intends to do.  Its more like a dry run.  If what it does match your
intention, remove the -n flag and run it again, this time for real

I learned the hard way that the -n flag is there for a purpose

William