Web development editor

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 7 20:33:02 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> HTML editing by definition is NOT wysiwig given you only get that
> by testing it in all the different browsers you want it to work with.
> They each render things slightly differently, since HTML is about content
> tagging, not formating and presentation.

Another reason why WYS is no longer WYG is the use of CSS based pages. A
change to the CSS can radically change the look of a page. Its hard enough
getting the CSS right so that two different browsers present a page the
same way. In the past I have found it was too much to expect a GUI based
web page editor to be a decent editor and to display web pages close to how
a viewer would display the page let alone being able to properly render CSS
based pages.

Some years ago I looked briefly at Front Page and Dreamweaver (both Windows
programs). I found the generated HTML code was a bit of a mess. It was
machine readable but not meant to be human readable due to no use of
newlines or indentation to break up the HTML in to easily readable chunks.
It was fine if all changes were to be done using the GUI program but not if
you just wanted to quickly make some minor change to a page (ie. to fix a
typo). When I looked at Nvu (under Linux) it seemed much better about
producing human readable HTML files and allowed you to work in GUI mode but
still be able to open a tab and alter the HTML source without leaving the
Nvu program.