rsync backup

teddy mills teddymills-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 7 20:02:40 UTC 2010

I rsync from /home/teddy/ to an external USB hard disk. It works fine.

rsync -avz --delete --exclude-from '/home/teddy/rsync-exclude'
/home/teddy /media/backup

/home/teddy/rsync-exclude
.gvfs

(weird .gvfs, I exclude it)

/dev/sdb1             459G  301G  136G  69% /media/backup

I decided to put a trailing slash on /home/teddy/ and /media/backup/
and run rsync again. rsync started deleting everything. (--delete) (301GB)
I stopped it quick that and took out the slashes and reran rsync.

It seems like I am stuck now using it without slashes.

Question1:
Is there a way I can run rsync with the trailing slashes, without
deleting everything?

Question2:
Before I start the backup, I would like to know if I am getting full
USB2 speed.
How can I do a non-destructive hdparm test?

TIA

Teddy