Samsung laptops?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 31 21:39:01 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I figured that back-to-school days are probably the best time of year to get
a conventional consumer laptop. I generally consider most of them to be
commodities; with a few exceptions, most brands feature both gems and turds.
I've seen good and bad from HP, Dell and Toshiba. The exceptions are that
I've never seen a bad Lenovo or good Acer.

Anyway, this laptop is for shared use so Lauren and I went around the
stores. She prefers the feel, balance and touchpad of the Samsung models we
saw at Future Shop (not many other sources for that brand...). The unit
seems OK and was well rated by Consumer Reports. But such reviews only go so
far. When I was netbook shopping more than a year ago I considered the
Samsung ones but eventually decided on Asus because of all the cool
EeePC-specific stuff for Linux.

So now I'm back considering Samsung,  Does anyone here have experiences with
Samsung laptops? Is their laptop support in Canada OK? The hardware all
looks vanilla enough to make an Ubuntu dual-boot easy enough, does anyone
here have experiences otherwise?

Thanks!

- Evan