identity theft

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 29 15:25:54 UTC 2010

On 8/29/2010 10:39 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> I received a call from 023 456-7890
>
> The caller identified themselves as being affiliated with bell canada
> and offering a cell phone at an awesome price with no network fees
>
> Then proceed to ask personal information such as birth day, drivers
> license number, etc.
>
> I phoned bell and they indicated it was an attempt at identity theft.
> Now I realize most of us on this list are wary enough to see this
> coming, but the more people know about it the better.

I received an automated call from Bell saying that a technician was
showing up at my house to do work on my land line.

The volume was very bad and it kept stuttering as it would play.  I
stayed on the line, expecting to be sent to a con artist.

Instead, I seemed to be sent to a bell rep who didn't ask for any
personal information, not even my first name, they then claimed to add
my phone number to their "do not call" list.

I'm pretty sure it was legit because the girl on the phone said "thank
you for ch... and have a nice day"

Although... thinking about it now, she was helpful, intelligent and
polite... maybe she *wasn't* with Bell.  hmmm...

-Mike