Is 54Mbit wireless like "hub" or "switch"?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 27 12:18:24 UTC 2010

ted leslie wrote:
> one maxed at G and another maxed at a lower rating using different
> wireless wave length. because some protocols and routers are capable of fancy things, and for example
> the devices can auto or manual shift frequency to move around obstacles (physical and interference),
> I would guess that some devices could say have one channel (or as the case may be set of channels) maxed to
> deliver G 54Mbit
Wireless access points have only one "channel" (two in dual band)
available.  So, you could have only one or two devices communicating at
a time.  Also, g, b and some n use the 2.7 GHz band. (a and some n on 5
GHz), so even if you had one device using g and one n, they'd still be
sharing the channel.  Not only that, but the presence of b will have a
performance impact on the g devices.

With WiFi, the bandwidth is shared, just like with a hub.