Is 54Mbit wireless like "hub" or "switch"?

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 27 02:52:08 UTC 2010

with a wired device the rating is per port, but, since it isn't usually possible to sustain across
every port, devices like cisco and 3com also rate the device for total throughput of all collectively,
and as I can recall, it isn't usually able to sustain across all port.
for wireless, I am guessing its  more the opposite, because the air space is restricted.
Now on a quality router that supports many types of wirelss, I am sure there are some that may
be able to sustain two connections, one maxed at G and another maxed at a lower rating using different
wireless wave length. because some protocols and routers are capable of fancy things, and for example
the devices can auto or manual shift frequency to move around obstacles (physical and interference),
I would guess that some devices could say have one channel (or as the case may be set of channels) maxed to
deliver G 54Mbit, yet could also sustain another connection of "partial", or a few connection at partial,
where partial could be 5-10-15-20-30% of max? but I am guessing. A smart design could probably get
two reasonable 54Mbit connections (say 80%) of max., but I am not sure any are designed like this.
This also assumes the transmissions are error free (mostly) and therefore not wasted bandwidth in retry,
and with multiple connections, those odds probably increase.
I would hope on a really good device, especially if say a small office G router, say from cisco, that they
would specify what type of collective bandwidth one might be able to achieve, but it would also very much be up to highly cooperative clients devices as well working as optimally as possible.

tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>