Plug computers

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 25 01:40:30 UTC 2010

On 10-08-24 21:24 , Giles Orr wrote:

> Does anyone own one?

Yes; been using one of the original Sheevaplug development kits for
about 18 months. Fun little machine - I use it as my music server, and
ssh destination to all the other machines on my network.

Mine runs Ubuntu 9.04, which is the latest that an ARM5 can run - all
newer distros are ARM6 only. Quite fast, but its floating point is
utterly dismal; don't expect to encode MP3s at any speed. Draws about 5W.

Shipping was a bit slow - they seem to come over in batches, which are
then individually shipped from the US. I had nothing payable on mine; YMMV.

 Stewart