Plug computers

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 25 01:24:38 UTC 2010

I'm fascinated by the Plug Computers.  Here's a probably incomplete list:

Sheevaplug - the original - all that follow are based on it
Cloudplug - local and cloud storage
Pogoplug - cloud storage only, not local?
Guruplug - several versions (incl. wifi!) but notorious for overheating
Tonidoplug - adds "easy to use" software
Quadplug - not much can be found about this one
Seagate FreeAgent Dockstar - USB drive dock (Seagate drives only?) +
Pogoplug functionality, probably the least "hackable"

There's even a "Plugbox Linux" distro getting going.

I'm inclined to go with the Sheevaplug.  I love the idea of available
wifi (and multiple other useful ports!) with the Guruplug, but most
accounts indicate that it runs massively hot and is prone to failure.

Does anyone own one?  What do you use it for?  It appears they have to
come from the States, and I'm concerned about duties etc. at the
border.  Experiences there?  The Guruplug with its extra hardware
looks most appealing, but the overheating does seem to be a serious
issue.