$200 (US) PC...

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 21 13:25:41 UTC 2010

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well I don't buy $200 computers.  I wait until I can afford a good
> one instead.  I don't believe in disposible electronics.

Back in 2000, I spent about $2k buying a decent Thinkpad. Today I have a
laptop that still boots and runs (on AC only) and is just hideously
obsolete.  A $200 computer today runs circles around it CPU-wise, weighs
just a wee fraction, and has built-in 11G and actual battery life.

Lesson: you may not want something that massively outlasts its
upgrade-by date.  Take good backups for when the current machine dies
and you need to replace it, but you were going to do that anyway.

--
Anthony de Boer