$200 (US) PC...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 19 02:22:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 08:38:48PM -0700, E K wrote:
>> quality? for $200?
>
> Well I don't buy $200 computers.  I wait until I can afford a good
> one instead.  I don't believe in disposable electronics.

I don't believe in disposable electronics either, but I also find that
using the criteria in the article that started this thread
(http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2366841,00.asp), I also
don't spend a lot more than $200 (US) for a computer. Remember that
the original article didn't include a keyboard, mouse or monitor in
the cost for the computer (which could easily add $150+ to the cost of
the system). In my case when building a system I do tend to go with
ASUS motherboards (which in my experience are NORMALLY rock solid),
and I typically go for a bit better than a bare bones case (and a much
better than bare bones case when I a building a home theater MythTV
box). So, because of the motherboard and case I will go over $200...

Still, I normally go with trailing edge CPU chips, reuse parts from
older systems and otherwise cut as many corners as is practical to
save money :-) .

Colin.