I Am Now 34....

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 11 18:50:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 02:16:50PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> What can I say, being a geek can be lonely, but then most of us became
> geeks because we are better dealing with machines than people... You
> may have heard the quote attributed to former US President Harry
> Truman "Want a friend in Washington? Get a dog." (I gather there is
> some question as to if Truman ever said the proceeding, but ... sounds
> good). Regardless I would suggest that it sounds like you need to find
> a friend, one with 2 or 4 legs. For myself I have a cat, who, well,
> can be a friend ... sometimes ... on her terms ...

Well I am married (7 and a half years now) to another geek (possibly
more than me in fact).  We also have 3 cats, so I understand that bit too.

So there are women out there for some of us geeky men.  It really helps
to be respectful of women, which unfortunately seems to be a problem
for a portion of geeky men.  After all, who wants to be around someone
that doesn't respect them?

> Let me also suggest that you start connecting with some non-geeks...
> Some of the GTALug folks are involved in the local amateur theater
> scene, others are in "mainstream" religious communities, others
> gourmet food / beer / wine, among other things. It can be a bit hard
> to expand beyond just the geek community, but it does help keep things
> in perspective.

Certainly having only a single hobby which is also your occupation might
not be very successful.

--
Len Sorensen