[mythtv-gta]: A MythTV building workshop?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 10 02:04:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Lennart Sorensen
>> Good points, though it looks like CBC will be pressing for a delay in
>> What I am using NOW, and what I have used over the last 5 years with
>> MythTV are somewhat different animals...
>>
>> > Analog tuner
>> > PVR 500
>>
>> PVR-150 (used in the past, my first MythTV tuner)
>> PVR-350 (used in the past)
>> PVR-500 (currently in use)
>
> That's what I have in use too, although I also use a SA4250HD.  Soon I
> will have an HDPVR hooked up to the 4250HD to add some more channels (some
> that used to work over firewire no longer do and it is getting annoying.
> Stupid Rogers).

I will happily echo the "Stupid Rogers" comment, I am ... unhappy ...
with their service and will be rid of everything except their analog
cable service by end of next week :-) .

My MythTV set-up is a hybrid set-up, 3x analog tuners tied to Rogers
analog cable, and 2x ATSC tuners tied to an outdoor antenna. The
analog tuners give me the specialty channels that are of interest to
me (Space and Food Network mainly) and the antenna gives me the
mainstream channels in HD (CBC, PBS, etc...). This works fairly well,
except when Rogers is out (again...). As is, I wouldn't be interested
in touching one of those Rogers boxes with a 10 foot pole...

I did have to laugh a bit, yesterday I got a Bell flyer promoting
their PVR (they had an ice cream truck on Yonge near Bloor yesterday
evening offering free ice cream and fliers). Bell was talking about
how their PVR can record up to 4 channels at once (as noted my MythTV
box can currently do 5 channels). Bell's box can record up to 100
hours of HD programming (mine can currently do 150 hours of HD).
Nothing in the Bell flyer about commercial auto skipping (why do I
doubt they have that feature ...).

Colin.