Mount same ext3 filesystem in 2 places... at the sametime

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 30 05:07:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Anton Verevkin wrote:

> But this is exactly the case when computers do not recognize that they
> are not alone using this partition. Though SCSI bus (and Fibre Channel
> as its successor) do handle the situation of simultaneous access to disk
> and have disk locking procedures, operating systems were not aware of
> changes made by another computer and I had to clear disk cache to see
> the changes made by another system. And of course simultaneous write
> could damage the data.

Hi Anton.  What you need is a "clustered filesystem".  This is a
filesystem that is aware that it will be written to by multiple directly
connected systems.  Without a clustered filesystem writes will sooner or
later cause filesystem corruption as you note.

To do this cross-plaform you will need to find a clustered filesystem that
is supported by all of the OSes you want to use.  They do exist but not
necessarily as OSS.

> I guess there might be some tools to teach the operating system to work
> in a team with other computers, and most probably this will turn to
> something like ZFS. But anyway we should always be very careful with
> these matters.

ZFS is not a clustered filesystem (yet).   Developing a clustered
filesystem is a very complex proposition so I don't blame Sun for waiting
until the non-clustered version is nice and stable.  OpenSolaris offers
the QFS clustered filesystem.

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com