Mount same ext3 filesystem in 2 places... at the sametime

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 30 02:53:09 UTC 2009

Anton Verevkin wrote:
> But this is exactly the case when computers do not recognize that they are not alone using
> this partition. Though SCSI bus (and Fibre Channel as its successor) do handle the situation
> of simultaneous access to disk and have disk locking procedures, operating systems were
> not aware of changes made by another computer and I had to clear disk cache to see the
> changes made by another system. And of course simultaneous write could damage the data.
>
> I guess there might be some tools to teach the operating system to work in a team with other
> computers, and most probably this will turn to something like ZFS. But anyway we should
> always be very careful with these matters.

I wonder what would have happened if you had the same OS on both?  In
all the systems I've worked on, both computers ran the same OS.  In mini
computer systems, redundant systems sharing drives were common and this
is the world Unix grew up in.  The VAX 11/780 was a popular system for
Unix and it supported dual access drives, such as the RP07, which had
two interfaces for connecting to two computers.