Problem installilng new nvidia drivers

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 28 15:44:12 UTC 2009

Hi Joe,

Are you sure that it didn't install? I've had issues where both kernel
drivers were installed, and when X started to load it loaded the wrong
version.

Can you uninstall the nvidia drivers that were installed by the
kernel? Thats what I did on my ubuntu install so it would not happen
again.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On my home desktop a kernel upgrade had me without corresponding nvidia
> drivers, so with Lennart's suggestions I was able to build a new nvidia-kernel
> and install the newer drivers like so:
>
> apt-get -t unstable install nvidia-kernel-source
> m-a clean,a-i -t nvidia
> apt-get install -t unstable nvidia-glx
>
> Worked great.
>
> Now on a laptop I'm working on, same situation ie. the kernel got upgraded but
> not nvidia, so I followed the same steps, but instead of installing the newer
> 185.x drivers, it still went and installed 173.x, which of course causes an
> error when X attempts to start.
>
> What could be causing this difference?

Dave Germiquet