Problem installilng new nvidia drivers

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 28 15:31:04 UTC 2009

On my home desktop a kernel upgrade had me without corresponding nvidia
drivers, so with Lennart's suggestions I was able to build a new nvidia-kernel
and install the newer drivers like so:

apt-get -t unstable install nvidia-kernel-source
m-a clean,a-i -t nvidia
apt-get install -t unstable nvidia-glx

Worked great.

Now on a laptop I'm working on, same situation ie. the kernel got upgraded but
not nvidia, so I followed the same steps, but instead of installing the newer
185.x drivers, it still went and installed 173.x, which of course causes an
error when X attempts to start.

What could be causing this difference?