OT: ebook, print documentation tools

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 28 04:33:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Chris F.A. Johnson
<chris-E7bvbYbpR6jSUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Rajinder Yadav wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of writing a ebook, possibly even something for publishing. It's
>> just an idea I am kicking around and I was wondering what is a good tool that
>> I can use to create public quality documents?
>
>   For an e-book, I would write it in HTML. For that, all you need is
>   a text editor.

Let me disagree, at least lightly...

If you write in HTML, you'll be tempted to use HTML features, notably
linking, which is pretty unamenable to the rather "ultimately serial"
form of books.

The last time I was working on a book (it's gone astray, due to
collaborators being too busy for completion...), we were using Lyx
<http://www.lyx.org/>.

Lyx is pretty suitable for *not* encouraging bad habits surrounding
engagement in physical layout.

And it can generate a reasonable variety of output formats...
Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html