OT: ebook, print documentation tools

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 28 05:55:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The last time I was working on a book (it's gone astray, due to
> collaborators being too busy for completion...), we were using Lyx
> <http://www.lyx.org/>.
>
> Lyx is pretty suitable for *not* encouraging bad habits surrounding
> engagement in physical layout.
>
> And it can generate a reasonable variety of output formats...

I'll second Lyx.  I've never written anything so ambitious as a book,
but I used Lyx to take notes in the second half of university so I've
spent a lot of time with it.  The printed output is _very_ pleasing to
the eye.  Also, the tool itself is really nice--it lets you focus on
the content and structure of the document and takes care of all the
messy formatting for you.  I'm not sure what kind of web-friendly
output you can generate, but you might be able to convert the LaTeX,
PDF, or PostScript output to HTML using some sort of filter.  Also, if
your book has even the slightest whiff of math in it, you can't beat
the equation editor in Lyx.

Ian