Still fighting against telco's limiting other ISP

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 25 17:18:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, Yanni Chiu wrote:
> His contention is that wholesalers just resell Bell's internet
> service, and thus are not true competitors.

He is not correct. AFAIK the ISP (or at least the ones I know)
usually manage their own backends. Probably more accurate that
they use Bell services, but not all their services come from
Bell, and therefore not a simple reseller.

> would locate equipment inside Bell's central office switches,
> so as to gain access to the "last mile", and that equipment
> would connect to the Internet completely independently of Bell
> (instead of the current wholesale ISP situation).

. While the "last mile" was built partly using
tax-payer money - and therefore rightly other ISP should have
access to is - the equipment inside the CO probably much less
so. Therefore those ISP are basically use Bell equipments, and
therefore difficult to argue Bell cannot limit the use of its
equipments, or what is the fair limitation that can be imposed.

> He add's that such a competitor may face obstacles from Bell
> when trying to gain access to the central offices though.

IMHO the ISP should argue - and if CRTC allow Bell to limit the
usage of Bell's equipment it should agree - that they should
have be allowed to do just that, i.e. access to CO and install
their own equipment. And CRTC should give longer time - maybe a
year after Bell allow this access to its CO - before Bell can
impose its limitation, so the ISP can arrange how they can
manage to have their own equipment in Bell's CO.

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/