Still fighting against telco's limiting other ISP

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 26 05:00:11 UTC 2009

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>> His contention is that wholesalers just resell Bell's internet
>> service, and thus are not true competitors.
>
> He is not correct. AFAIK the ISP (or at least the ones I know) usually
> manage their own backends. Probably more accurate that they use Bell
> services, but not all their services come from Bell, and therefore not a
> simple reseller.

There's no correct or incorrect, just a difference of opinion on what is
a competitor. From other responses I see that there once was a
competitor that connected at the last mile - namely, Sprint, before they
withdrew from the Canadian market, by selling to Rogers. So it is
possible for competitors to access this semi-public last mile
infrastructure.

I agree that a good solution would be that Sympatico be separated from
Bell, and to have all other ISPs given the same access that Sympatico
would have. What's not clear to me is whether or not the infrastructure
that is currently sold wholesale to other ISPs should belong to the Bell
side or the Sympatico side. If it falls under the Sympatico side, then
other ISPs are going to be in the same noose.

--
Yanni