Linus Torvalds: 'Linux is bloated'

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 22 23:42:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:15:10 -0400
Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Interesting but extremely short article, here's a clip, the URL will follow:
>
> "Linus Torvalds, founder of the Linux kernel, made a startling comment
> at LinuxCon in Portland, Ore., on Monday: "Linux is bloated." While
> the open-source community has long pointed the finger at Microsoft's
> Windows as bloated, it appears that with success has come added heft,
> heft that makes Linux "huge and scary now," according to Torvalds.
>
> "Has Linux failed?"

Michael,

   Yes, Linux is bloated.  Perhaps, just as bloated as Windows.

   It should theoretically be possible to create a distro that would allow me to do everything I do now, and take up a quarter to half the disk space.  The only problem with it is that it would not meet your requirements.

   I remember running Linux on a 486DX266 with 20MB RAM.  Fat chance of that now.  It is a good thing disk drives are bigger, cheaper and faster.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org