really weird(?) DNS setup on linksys router running DD-WRT

Robert P. J. Day rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 21 15:45:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:58:47AM -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:

> > > resolv.conf controls what the router uses to resolve dns
> > > queries. It has no effect on how clients behind the router get
> > > DNS at all. Does the router have any need for external DNS at
> > > all really?
> > >

> > What?
> >
> > resolve.conf is on the clients. It has nothing to do with the
> > router other then, in this case, to direct the clients to it.
> >
> > I think you need to reread his query.
>
> Oh, yes I see.  Well I know that if you install a caching nameserver,
> then that kind of setup may happen, at least in combination with some
> dhcp client configurations.

  i *figured* you misunderstood, lennart, since i can't see you making
that kind of mistake. :-)

  and, yes, i can see now (based on hugh's posting as well) that it
might be a clever setup where one of the internal systems is set up as
a caching nameserver.  but i think i'll just go for simplicity for
now, and get fancier once i do some reading.

  i haven't taken a close look at the open source dd-wrt router
firmware -- does it support caching on the router itself, does anyone
know?

rday