really weird(?) DNS setup on linksys router running DD-WRT

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 21 15:41:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:58:47AM -0400, Darryl Moore wrote:

> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:23:52AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >>   i figure i might as well bug the tlug list on this one, since the
> >> location is in TO.
> >>
> >>   was helping someone install some linux software this weekend, and
> >> there seemed to be intermittent network problems (losing ssh login
> >> sessions), as well as DNS resolvability errors.
> >>
> >>   took a look at a couple of the internal linux systems (call them
> >> 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101), and their /etc/resolv.conf files
> >> read:
> >>
> >>   nameserver 127.0.0.1
> >>   nameserver 192.168.1.1   (the router)
> >>   search domain1 domain2
> >
> > resolv.conf controls what the router uses to resolve dns queries.
> > It has no effect on how clients behind the router get DNS at all.
> > Does the router have any need for external DNS at all really?
> >

> What?
>
> resolve.conf is on the clients. It has nothing to do with the router
> other then, in this case, to direct the clients to it.
>
> I think you need to reread his query.

Oh, yes I see.  Well I know that if you install a caching nameserver,
then that kind of setup may happen, at least in combination with some
dhcp client configurations.

dns says 'put 127.0.0.1 in resolv.conf'
dhcp client says 'put foo in resolv.conf'

Not a very stable configuration.  Often seen when revolveconf package
is in use.

--
Len Sorensen