Linux Media Servers for PS3

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 21 13:34:53 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 08:34:18PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Anyone have experience/suggestions to share?
>
> New ("slim") PS3's won't run Linux :-(
> So buy a fat one now before the stock evaporates.
>
> Sad.
>
> I don't actually know whether the fat ones will get a firmware update
> that excludes Linux.

No, sony has said the old ones will always keep it, but the new ones
are not getting it.

They claim it is because maintaining the hypervisor for the hardware
changes they make over time is too much effort.

I think the reason is that they want to make sure every new PS3 sold
makes they some game license fee revenue.  They don't need the linux
gimick to help raise sales numbers anymore.

--
Ken Sorensen