site uptime monitoring tool

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 18 12:27:44 UTC 2009

Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> Anyone know of a good free or inexpensive site uptime monitoring site?
>
> I guess I could write a ruby script to test my site, but I don't keep
> my linux box running 24x7.
>
> I came across http://basicstate.com/ - but they check every 15 min,
> which I think the window is way too long.

How are you planning on monitoring it?  If you want real time results,
you'll have to have some computer up all the time to do the monitoring.
What is it you're trying to measure?  Are you trying to determine when
it fails?  If so, a simple ping every minute may do it, but that will
still require some computer to be running to do the test.  Also, uptime
is a command in Linux that tells you how long a computer has been
running since last boot.  Is that what you want?  I suspect you actually
want some sort of "alive" test.

Incidentally, here's a short script I've used to ping a site once per
minute and log the failures.

#! /bin/sh
while [ 1 ]
do
        ping 111.222.333.444 -c 1 || date >> ~/log;sleep 60
done