techknowmag.com (and older computers)

Eric Battersby gyre-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 14 18:33:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Peter wrote:

> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:45:31 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> Subject: [TLUG]: re: techknowmag.com
>
> I just found this, the 2nd number ? It presents Puppy Linux and DSL among others
> (as alternatives for older computers). This is a 'free' as in free beer
> commercial outfit, right ?

Can someone clarify for me: what is an "older computer"?
Which new distributions should not be installed on which hardware?
No need to mention extremes, but what are the cut-off specification
ranges in terms of non-obvious attributes?

For example, Fedora 11 has these requirements:
   * Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
   * Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
   * Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MiB
   * Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MiB
   * Recommended RAM for graphical: 256MiB

That threshold goes back to computers before 2000, but there
is *no* mention of *age*.
I don't think adequate testing has been done on
"older computers", especially for Fedora.

--
Eric B.