[OT]pic/midi programming

Pete Lancashire pete-6NP59FE1ho9MFQD/ygXjfdBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 29 18:45:25 UTC 2009

> The end goal is to create an electronic bagpipe. Yes, I know I can buy
> one, but I'd like to build it.
>
> So it has 8 switch inputs and outputs notes depending on which switches
> are pressed.

Ah ok .. a PIC or ARM are good and cheap. do a google search lots of
free designs. I've built MIDI -> 'stuff' devices in the past. Where
stuff has been anything from banks of lights to solenoids hitting
5 gallon plastic buckets. I've never done a switch -> MIDI.

> So my initial thought was to use a PIC microcontroller to read the
> switches and then either output to a MIDI synth chip, or generate
> the notes with the PIC and a D to A.
>
> Now for those unfamiliar with bagpipes they actually have 4 reeds
> in total so I would need 4 DAC's ( I think )

The major building blocks

1. switch contact to MIDI
2. MIDI to instrument
3. instrument to analog output

You have two choices for the instrument, sampled or synthesizer.

The output from the "instrument" can be summed into one digital
output then sent to a single DAC/filter/amp. A clean DAC/filter/amp
is not easy but there are a lot of designs that can be copied.

With all the distortion a bag pipe puts out, I'd hate to see the
DSP code :-).

check out

http://www.ucapps.de/index.html

click around, i think there is a switch->MIDI somewhere in there

and

http://ask.metafilter.com/57144/How-to-get-started-with-MIDI-on-the-cheap