capturing an swf stream from the web?

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 27 05:37:30 UTC 2009

Matt Price wrote:
> thanks for htis, john.
> unfortunately, with the particular flash animation i mention here, I
> can't seem to get this to work.  Automatic conversion fails silently,
> while manual conversion fails with a not-so-helpful error message
> ("conversion failed").  do you have any idea what i might be able to do
> to improve the outcome?  if you try this file on your system, does the
> download succeed?  knowing that it does would be a pretty big help.
>
> Anyway, thanks again for your assistance.
>
> matt
It works fine with Mepis 8. However that it failed for you may be due to
the fact that the standard Debian ffmpeg package has most of the
transcoding capabilities crippled due to patent problems in the U.S. I
use the ffmpeg package that is available from the Mepis community
restricted repos which is located outside of the U.S. Mepis 8 is heavily
based on Lenny so it may work for you as well (if you are using Debian,
Mepis, or Sidux).

Restricted repo : deb http://restricted.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/repo/
mepis8cr restricted restricted-non-free

HTH